The School was founded by the Late Principal N. D. Nagarvala and the Late Dr (Mrs.) Erin N. Nagarvala on June 18th 1947 in a residential bungalow at No. 4, Boat Club Road, Pune. Mr. & Mrs. Nagarvala realized that the children of middle class parents especially those from rural parts of Maharashtra, find it difficult to get quality education at an affordable residential school. They believed that most middle class parents have brilliant children, with the potential to be successful & outstanding citizens given the right opportunities.
Originally the school was named “The National Military School”, however on the advice of The Education Department the word “Military” was dropped and the School was re-named “The National Model School”. It was only after the untimely demise of Dr. (Mrs.) Erin N. Nagarvala that the name was changed, in honour of her devotion and dedication to the school. Dr. Banubai Coyaj was the chief guest at the renaming ceremony on 15th August, 198
The Primary School Boarders (UKG to Std. IV) are housed class wise in a dormitory block with Matrons to look after them. The Senior School Boarders (Std. V – X) are in a separate block and attended by House Supervisors. The Secondary girls’ dormitory is attached to a wing of the Principal’s Bungalow.
Both the Schools Boarding and Day are recognized by the Education Department of the State of Maharashtra.
The School maintains a reputation for its high academic standards, personal care and attending to the development of the talents and personality of each student. The School employs well qualified staff to meet the academic and hostel needs of the students.